Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Pause that Refreshes

We used to have a refreshing treat when we lived in Misery (some call it Missouri), especially at track meets when the weather was unbearably hot. It was a special porous peppermint stick pushed into the top of a lemon. You sucked the peppermint stick, hard at first, to pull the lemon juice up through the stick. We thought it was delightfully delicious!

I found a gallon jar of the special sticks in a catalog called Vermon Country Store, and I thought I'd present the sticks along with some lemons as part of the Christmas gift for my children and theirs. It was a hot treat! I used half a lemon because the sticks aren't particularly long. Kelly, above, sucked hard on Marcus's to get it started. Orion, below, wasn't as enamoured of the treat as some others.


Alana thought they were pretty good, but maybe better if stuck in a juicy orange. She may be right.


Brianna liked this treat pretty well.



And Marcus liked it for a short while, until he discovered that you don't actually have to use the lemon. He was attached to the peppermint stick, and, of course, many other things because of their stickiness!







2 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

That is different. Lemons and peppermint? And you call my kids strange? LOL!

Connie said...

Sounds yummy to me...I like sour things. :-)