Tuesday, November 9, 2010

GALEUX D'EYSINES SQUASH

You see my delighted self holding one of the ten Galeux d'Eysines ( pronounced, gallo day seen) French Heirloom squashes. I bought one of these a couple years ago at the Farmers' Market and loved the flavor and texture. So, this year I bought plenty of the seeds. They don't grow where we live because they need plenty of heat and many more days than we get on the prairie. Several of my favorite gardeners agreed to grow one or two hills and return one squash to me. My DH and I just weighed them for a whopping total of 147 pounds!!This is the description from the catalog:
"(C. maxima) Possibly our most beautiful heirloom squash. This flattened, round, 10-15 lb fruit has gorgeous, slamon/peach-colored skin covered with large warts! The sweet orange flesh is used in France for soups and also can be baked. This is one of the best tasting squash I have tried; the flesh is so smooth, flavorful and deep orange; it's fantastic!"
Well, that's exactly what I thought when I first tasted it, so I'll be making LOTS of soup later on this winter. They ranged in weight from 6 lbs to 22 lbs.
Thanks to: Connie, Ellie, Tanner, Leah, and Kim for growing these beauties!
Next I will post my favorite squash soup recipe. Stay tuned.


10 comments:

Connie said...

You are the queen of squash, my friend!
BTW, nice photo. :-) I enjoyed my visit with you today!

Marguerite said...

I'm curious to know where your growers live and how you had the squash delivered. Also, how will you store them? I love growing pumpkins and squash -- such generous plants! I think you could make a mighty fine pie with this squash; have you tried yet? Thanks!

mimi torchia boothby watercolors said...

Cathy,
Marguerite is my little sister!

Catherine said...

Marguerite, I don't store the squashes for long because we have wood heat here. It is either very warm or too cold in all of the various rooms in our old decrepit house! I am busily baking the squashes and freezing them for pies, soup and something like mashed potatoes, but squash instead. I gave the seeds to friends within a 30 mile radius, and ones I see regularly. So, they've been delivered to my doorstep quite sweetly!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I'm not a huge squash lover, but I do like it in soup. Looking forward to reading your recipe.

What a blessing that you ended up with so many!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I've never had squash soup. I wonder what it is like!

Your hair looks so pretty like that!

I miss you so much!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

PS, can this be your new profile picture?

mbrewer said...

Your fun hair is so cute. Body is so rare for us. I have a new high-light so I have a bit more but yours is so tempting. Your squash are beautiful. Maybe you could pass on some seeds our way. I have plans to grow a few things when summer comes around. It is so yummy in the winter in soup. cubed, pureed...curried...yes....it sounds like you are busy getting it all prepared. I am curious. If you keep it just above freezing how long will it last. It seems like Joanne uses to keep some butternut in her cellar for a few months and make some great soup. Is this variety more sensitive or is it just finding a place that isn't wood heat and not outside freezing?
Best of luck. Looking forward to your potty break at Holstein's. Love and hugs. enjoying my visit with Mom.

Connie said...

Just re-visiting this post to say those two squash on the bottom step are soooo good looking! hee hee

the coconut and the squid said...

Catherine, I just stumbled upon this post after doing a Google search on Heirloom pumpkins.

Very impressed with your crop. I grew some Jaune Gros de Paris this year (almost ready) and am thinking about growing the Galeux D'Eysines next year.

Your blog is very inspiring.