Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Kitchen Queen Rides Again

Okay, one more tomato has passed all the tests here. You can tell by my measuring 'stick' how big it is, almost disguising itself as one of those tasty Brandywines.......almost.
Its size and flavor live up to its name:
Super Maarmalade!
After harvesting all my tomatoes yesterday because the temperatures are dipping for good (there is snow on Grangeville Mountain today!) this relentless Amish Paste, below, surpassed all my expectations. This is a washtub full from ONE plant! I gathered 4 washtubs of greeningtomatoes, placing them in a cool dark room.

Salsa has taken a back burner to roasted tomatoes today. The aroma in the house induces me to snack all day long for want of a taste. Below is a mixture of zucchini, garlic and tomatoes covered in a drizzle of olive oil, some kosher salt, a healthy sprinkling of basil and oregano. It took about 2 and a half hours at 350 degrees and warmed up the kitchen right nicely. Thanks for this idea and the recipe help, Connie!


THEN!
The 'Piece de Resistance':
Green Tomato Pie
(my favorite, next to rhubarb custard)

Green Tomato Pie Recipe
Mix together:
1 1/3 cup sugar
6 2/3 T flour
1 t salt
1/1/3 t cinnamon or nutmeg
Add:
4 cups sliced green tomatoes
1 T vinegar
1/1/3 t lemon zest
Let sit while you make the crust of your choice. I always make a whole wheat crust because we don't do white flour any more. Place the filling into the botton crust, add 1 1/3 T butter in pieces on top.
Bake at 425 for 50-60 minutes.
Since I have only 10 inch pie pans I increase everything a little to adjust for a larger pie. You know how to do that, I'm sure.
I felt like the Queen of the Kitchen yesterday. And my DH, who has rules for what he eats (exotic? never eaten it before? "No thank you!"). could not stay out of the pie. After lunch I ask brightly, "Did you get enough?" His reply, with a twinkling eye, was "I think I need a few more vegetables." And, away he took himself to cut a big slice of pie. He is so funny! It is very much like Apple Pie, but not.





6 comments:

Connie said...

Great idea to get rid of, ummm ...I mean...USE UP that prolific vegetable called zucchini. :-)

Your pie, my dear, looks delectable!
You are indeed a kitchen queen!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

That pie looks amazing! I'm not sure I have enough gumption to try it though. You know how I am about tomatoes. Where ever did you get a recipe like that?

Jay is so cute!

Did you wear your pearls, oh Kitchen Queen?

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Kitchen Queen,
That is so funny that Jay liked that pie so much. It looks delicious! I've covered my tomatoes tonight, but I think I'm going to harvest them tomorrow if they make it because temperatures are rapidly dipping around here.

COUNTRY MOM said...

What great pictures. That pie looks delicious. Have a great day. Blessings,

Little Sisty Ugler said...

Oh, sisty! You made me hungry for mom's green tomato pie! But you know:that gluten thing. Oh, and that vegan thing.....
So I made a green tomato crisp using the same recipe for the filling, substituting 2 t. of corn starch for the flour, and a crisp topping from oats spun up in the coffee grinder, coconut and margarine. OMg is was G-O-O-D!

April said...

I have to try these recipes!! No green tomatoes left here, though, so maybe next year for that one.

I was just reading "The Long Winter" by Laura Ingalls Wilder to my daughter. We were both fascinated by the green pumpkin pie that Ma makes--we want to try that sometime, too!