Sunday, September 18, 2011

Seed Time/Harvest Time

No one offered up any cheese with my whine about the lack of produce in my garden, so I've sucked it up and waited for something to happen. Shockingly, the tomatoes have produced 30 pounds of fruit already. The Zinnias that failed to show earlier are blossoming beautifully. The Buckwheat that volunteers has flowered and begun to turn seedy. I'm grateful for this turn of events!

I no longer can tomatoes because the frozen ones taste more like fresh when they are thawed.

I just 'chunk' them up for use in sauce and salsa later.



Yesterday morning in the cool 44 degree and breezy weather I pruned the tomatoes so that no more flowers are left, just the vines with tomatoes so that their energy can go to ripening.





And, last of all, these plums are amazing!

It is time to get stared on seeding some flats of lettuce to grow in the sunroom for winter.

Seed time/harvest time...is this my favorite time????? Hm, let me get back to you on that.

4 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I want to plant some more lettuce, too. Thanks for the reminder. I'm so glad your tomatoes have proved faithful! 30 lbs is amazing! I planted four plants and am getting just the right amount. Even some left to give away. I do need to chunk some up and put them in the freezer.

I'm wanting to make my homemade marinera sauce.

Love you!
Stacie

Mimi said...

lovely stuff in your harvest! This year we're happy for every thing that we've harvested since it has been such a terrible growing season. Our plums are lovely too.
take care

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

What a surprise turn of events! This year was way better than last, especially for tomatoes and peppers. So glad you got a lot of produce. What a blessings!

Connie said...

Happy to hear of your harvest! It has been a strange year in the garden.
I need to start lettuce in my cold frame....have been waiting on the Brandywine tomatoesin there to get ripe, but I guess I will just have to plant around them. ha